Sunday 7 February 2016

Real Applesauce

Sunday is often a day to make food for me, and today is no exception. The bread is rising beside the radiator, and I soaked beans last night for a crockpot of chili that will be supper tonight. And I'm making applesauce, which I've been meaning to do for a while. I even brought real apples back from the parents' last time I was down for that specific reason.

I know, they're not the prettiest apples at this time of year, but that's kind of the point. They're apples from a tree belonging to someone my mother does the gardening for. The tree had a bumper crop, and since the owner is only around on weekends, he let her bring a bunch home. Like 2 bushels. And random homegrown apples make the best sauce and pie. Some years all the semi-wild stuff in our bush does really well, and we use those. No idea what they are, each tree is different - you sample a few and gather the best ones. No sprays or anything means they're maybe spotty or bumpy (these look a bit like I kicked them all the way here) - and after a few months, getting wrinkly - but you peel 'em and cut out the bad bits, and cook 'em, and you get something that is to store-bought applesauce what a sirloin steak is to a McDonald's hamburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment