Wednesday 13 April 2011

Election Debates

Um, yeah. Guess what was all over the TV (well, the two channels I get) last night? Yup, the great debate for next month's Federal election. Not half as entertaining as the normal block of Big Bang Theory and DWTS I would have watched. Still, it had three things going for it. Firstly, it didn't really require me to watch it, so I could work on my embroidery and still keep up. Secondly, it is an election, I'm going to vote, and it's as good a way as any to get a feel for the opinions of the, ahem, candidates. Thirdly, I suspect election debates would make a great drinking game. Drink every time a candidate repeats their favorite phrase; they all had at least one phrase/idea they repeated several times over the course of the evening. I almost wondered if they commit, say, two or three ideas to memory and try to answer everything using those. Or whenever a candidate gives an indirect answer or veers off topic for a question (no, wait, everyone would be passed out halfway through the debate). Well, I'm sure there are other possibilities.

At any rate, I didn't get to watch the end, as the cat was insisting on her evening stroll. Which did leave one question unanswered in my mind - what happens after the debate? Do they exit the room politely (no, after you, sir)? Do they each get their own door to exit from, in case of conflict? Or is it all a sham, like wrestling, and do they slap each other on the back at the end, say, 'Well played, old chap' and all head to someone's house for a beer? (Actually, I've occasionally wondered the same thing about celebrities in Hollywood.)

No comments:

Post a Comment