Tuesday 12 July 2011

21st Century, Here I Come

I am, for the first time, posting from my own living room. The tech came this morning to set up my internet. And I'm using the new computer I acquired this weekend, an Apple iBook G4 (my first Apple!). Not a new one, but free, and my father checked it over and put some fancy stuff on it, and I think it has wireless capability also, and a few hours battery life, so I could even go and play at the coffeeshop or something.

Anyway, it's all terribly exciting. The fact that I can check e-mail without going to the library or the old lab, or asking to borrow when I visit someone is...dizzying. Completely new idea. I may have to concentrate on not spending too much time surfing around! I never bothered to get it when I moved here, because I was in the lab 6 days of 7 anyway, and could always make time to do whatever I needed online there. But I'm using the 'net more than I used to (thanks, Ravelry!), between blogging and designing, and whatnot. And it's not really nice of me to keep using the lab stuff now I'm done school - besides, it takes a good 40 min to get there, so a lot of wasted time travelling.  No more. I can do this in PJs if I want. Look things up the moment I think of it, rather than writing it down and waiting for my next trip. Not miss job openings or important e-mails because I don't get on line for a couple days. I think I'm going to like this.

It doesn't mean I'm getting an iPOD or a microwave, though. I have to draw the line somewhere if I want to maintain my reputation!

No comments:

Post a Comment