Thursday 10 March 2011

Revisiting Monty Python

On my last library run, I swung by the video section and picked up a couple things. One was an old Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers, “Shall We Dance”, and one was Monty Python live at the Hollywood Bowl. I was introduced to Monty Python back in college, and watched every one I could get my hands on during undergrad. I hadn’t seen any for a while though, so I wanted to revisit an old friend. Well, I remembered most of the sketches – the Silly Walks, and the Whizzo Chocolate Company, and ‘I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK’. For some reason though, this one had completely escaped my memory – how, I don’t know.


Unfortunately, the rhythm of my spinning wheel fits it very well. It’s been popping up in my head at intervals ever since.

Mental comment 1: The making love in a canoe thing? Makes a good joke, but I suspect it would be rather impractical IRL. Besides cramped space and benches, I can just see it being very easy to tip the canoe and then have to scramble to retrieve your clothes before they sink. And the lifejackets would get in the way.

Mental comment 2: The line '...just as sloshed as Schlegel.' was genius. Try saying it five times fast. Now think of what it would sound like if you were drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment